Monday, June 11, 2012

I was told that there would be cake...


Ran a 5K this weekend. It was nice, despite the rain. Well except for the blisters from my soggy shoes part...but what can you do. I knew my shoes were wearing out...Got cold and was rather a grumpface for the rest of the day I'm afraid. J got the brunt of it, but thankfully he still puts up with my crankface.

I ended up at my brother's for supper with my Dad which brought me back around. Sipping wine and chatting with my Dad always cheers me up. And my brother has sort of adopted a cute old lady who is a firecracker and must have been fantastic when she was younger and less frail...at first I was a bit resentful that my brother had decided she would be coming to most of our family gatherings, but as I get to know her I see why. Her family is all in the US and she can't travel anymore, so for her, it's' huge to be able to get out to family gatherings again...when you're old and frail I imagine that makes a huge difference in just wanting to go through the day. She's an amazing old lady, and I think, now that I've gotten to know her, it's nice having her around...I never really got to know either of my grandmas, so it's a neat thing. We sat and sipped tea after supper and she told us stories about walking home form barn dances as the sun came up singing and we agreed on the utter perfection of matrimony cakes as the best square ever.
They are you know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matrimony cakes? I wish I had a grandma...

the Bag Lady said...

Totally agree on the matrimonial cake (as we call it) being the best squares ever.
Come to think of it, walking home from a barn dance (or any dance) as the sun rises is also one of my favourite things!
She sounds like a fabulous lady to have in your life.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...