Monday, April 12, 2010

Using tools properly

Sometimes I forget: A computer is a tool. The internet is a tool.

I get lazy. I sit back and think "entertain me computer!" and wonder why I feel bored and silly trying to find entertainment on my computer that will distract me from feeling sick.

It is usually then that I remember...tools are for *me* to use. To actively use. To accomplish something...not just stare at and fiddle with and expect things to magically happen for me.

Would I pick up a drill and tell it to amuse me? Would I expect my hammer to do tricks?

No.
*I* must accomplish things. Useful things. These will help me.

Just because it will allow me to watch videos from the new Gorillaz album and pictures of my cute little niece eating cake, and Natalie Dee cartoons athat make me snort tea out my nose my computer is not anything more than a shiny useful tool. Books entertain me. Films amuse. Music delights.

Gotta reset the brain back to zero every once in a while...Priorities.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could feel bored, because then maybe I would DO something! Instead I just feel sleepy all the time. Can't use tools if they're too heavy...

Geosomin said...

I think part of it is I've been so busy lately that when I try and relax I just expect things to happen while I do nothing at all.
Silly...

grapecat said...

speaking of snorting tea out of your nose, check out these mugs (no seriously)
http://www.msmugs.com/acatalog/Simon_Drew.html
I was ok till i got to the ductor...

Geosomin said...

I'm eying up the umpire strikes back...

grapecat said...

and moled wine
hee hee heeeeee hee hee (snort)

Geosomin said...

he hee...I know...
I like the "Eye spy with my little eye something starting with a"!

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...