Friday, January 23, 2009

Will Work For Beer

Last night was fun - got to hang out with my sister in law (the cool one), gossip, rant, drink beer and help her paint her upstairs. You know the old 50s houses where the top floor has low ceilings that are all angles and jutted out and cosy and awesome? Yeah that kind of upstairs. It was like my old bedroom as a kid in the attic in my house, and it's where her daughter CuteStuff wants to hang out and play. Sadly, it has never been fixed up from the previous owners who decorated it like a haunted house for their creepy, pale children who (from what we can tell) were obsessed with airplanes, soda pop and deep shag carpeting. It was just very wierd and not cosy so she's always meant to paint it up a bit as they don't use it as it's just not a welcoming space, particularly now that CuteStuff is needing more spaceto play.

With a bit of patching and deliberate ignorance of things we just couldn't make look nice no matter what we did I painted while she stripped wallpaper. We got 2 of the 3 parts of it painted...she still has some crazy annoying wallpaper planes and borders in the last part to take off from the previous owners that were put on with supersonic strength crazy glue...but the rest of it's looking rather nice. It's amazing what a coat of paint will do. The paint went on well, so she doesn't have too much to do for the second coat. It's so hard for her to get lots done with the kids around- I was glad to help. Her hubs (J's brother) also has the "sucky at painting" gene, so it was up to the women to do it right. And did we? Oh yes. We rock.

This morning, I am exhausted as I didn't get home until about midnight and am so stiff in odd places, but it was fun. CuteStuff "helped" us paint a bit until she got bored and we still managed to not get paint everywhere. Even when giggling set in as we got tired and beery, we managed to keep it together and finish up the 2 rooms and get me home before I turned into a pumpkin.

She paid me for my painting services with beer... This is a sweet deal. It means tonight, during which I have nada to do (woot) I can nap, drink said beer and relax.
I can't wait...

3 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

The best jobs are the ones where you get paid in beer! At least, that always seems to be the way it goes around here....
Have a great weekend!

FirstNations said...

and here ive just been buying it at the quickie mart all willy nilly. huh. *ambles off to paint something*

Rimshot said...

only thing better is getting paid in beer and pizza!

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...