Monday, March 03, 2008

Bummed out

I've spent a lot of time and energy on a project that I thought I'd made a most excellent discovery on that would help sick people get weller (is that a word?) and actually be useful. All weekend I was giddy, thinking of how I'd go over the results with one of my coworkers today and we'd have something useful to publish to actually make a difference in people's lives.
AND after spending the morning going over stuff...
It turns out although it is interesting, I've found a mutation in a non-specific uncoding intron region, that although novel, is not changing the amino acid sequence of my protein of interest.

Translation to non-geekspeak: I spent a lot of time and money learning what *isn't* the cause of an interesting mutation disease and am rather bummed out.

*sigh*
Just once I'd like to discover something interesting...I know a lot of science is learning what isn't causing something and slowly building a proper pathway of action and this really is a useful thing I've done by adding to the pool of knowledge on a particular disorder, but it still sucks.

I'd like to find, just once, something ON the pathway, not off it.
Just for me.
I'd make a cake and everything.

*sigh*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry the folds in your protein didn't lead to a cure for the QVC Network (or whatever).

How long until NanoBots are useful and real?

the Bag Lady said...

Bummer.
Don't get discouraged, though. The Bag Lady thinks you are amazing anyway! :)

Pacian said...

But it is really just as important as a positive discovery. Humans are silly for thinking otherwise.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...