Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas meme

Busy day, but I loves my quizzes and memes, so here we go (stolen from Diddums) . A little insight into my Christmasness.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? - Paper...I love wrapping things. It seems like cheating when you use the bags, although I must admit, some of my gifts would look a whole lot better in a bag than how they end up when I've finished with them!

2. Real tree or artificial? Artificial - it's a family heirloom of sorts. If I could guarantee I wouldn't have needles of pain all over my carpet for a few months after I might go for a real one...they smell so nice..

3. When do you put up the tree? - First weekend in December.

4. When do you take the tree down? - by the end of January

5. Do you like eggnog? Oh yeah. With rum.

6. Favourite gift received as a child? This cool drawing Monsters and Superheroes thing - with a bunch of different heads and bodies and legs. You mix and match them and rub over a piece of paper on top of the raised template and get your very own thingummy to colour in. I still pull it out occasionally...

7. Do you have a Nativity scene? Yes. A friend made me an abstract one out of wood...I like it, but don't always put it out, as my cat likes to run off with the little sheep...

8. Hardest person to buy for? My father in law.

9. Easiest person to buy for? J.

10. Worst Christmas Gift you ever received? This hideous lace covered blouse of a thing. I couldn't even bring myself to try it on to be polite. Mom and I have a deal now - no clothing as gifts!

11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Some of both...I'm pretty tardy, so usually the people far from me get email and late cards.

12. Favourite Christmas Movie? It's a Wonderful Life. It was my childhood model of goodness and kindness and how true love would be. I still watch it every year to remind myself.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Mostly December, unless it is something that will take a while to get here or is hard to find/get. J has a knack for wanting obscure things you can't get in Canada so I'm always up for a challenge.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Chocolates yes. Other than that I just give them away at work.

15. Favourite thing to eat/drink at Christmas? Mulled wine or hot apple cider and snickerdoodle cookies. Pumpkin pecan pie is also yummy.

16. Clear lights or coloured on the tree? Coloured. Blue actually. It's a white tree, so whatever colour we put on makes it glow that colour.

17. Favourite Christmas song? Coventry Carol. My fave Christmas album is Roger Whittaker's Christmas album...it just isn't Christmas without it playing.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Depends - we tend to rotate who's side of family we spend Christmas with.

19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Yes

20. Angel on the tree top or a Star? Star. The little tree in the basement has a little knitted hat on top. Altho last night I had a brilliant idea for a tree topper. How about a planet or moon of some kind that lit up inside, with a little arm that rotated around the center with an old 1950s science fiction style space rocket flying in orbit around it. How cool would *that* be?

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning? J and I Christmas eve - our gifts to each other at home by ourselves. The rest on Christmas day after breakfast and the family has gone to Christmas service.

Tag you're it (if you wanna be...)

4 comments:

Diddums said...

Roger Whittaker is good. I saw him once at a kind of night time outdoor 'do'. I didn't know it was him as I was too young, but I do remember a man playing a guitar.

I didn't know he had a Christmas album - I must look out for that.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I keep finding our nativity set with the baby Jesus removed and a giant purple frog in its place. It's like that miniseries V only it would be V:The Lizard People Nativity Special!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

My mom always gives me cutesy-poo appliqued stuff like sweaters with dancing polar bears on them.

I am not 70 years old. Neither am I a teacher. That renders her gifts completely useless.

the Bag Lady said...

1. Paper - love making them pretty
2. Real
3. 2 weeks before
4. 1st week in Jan.
5. with rum, of course.
6. Can't remember that far back!
7. Yes, the one mother had
8. hubby
9. hubby!
10 ??
11 Mail, always
12 Holiday Inn or White Christmas
13 End of Nov.
14 No
15 Everything - turkey, stuffing, butter tarts, shortbread, lefse, cranberry sauce...sigh
16 clear
17 Bing Crosby singing White Christmas - makes me cry
18 Home
19 Yes
20 Angel (do you know why there's an angel on top of the tree? Santa was really stressed, elves and reindeer were misbehaving, etc., and the poor little angel came along at the worst possible moment and asked what Santa wanted her to do with the Xmas tree...)
21 morning.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...