Saturday, July 21, 2007

Silly bear, ritalin is for kids

Why oh why did I offer to come in and work on a Saturday?

BOORRIINNGG!!!

So, I'm trying to fill my incubation times with some online reading...and now I have a question:
Recent published studies have shown that Ritalin has lasting effects on the developments of children (physical and mental) with long exposure. Duh. What did people honestly think giving a stimulant to a child for years would do to them? Make them into superhumans? Give them special powers? Especially kids that are a bit different and need some extra time and help to get it right.

How about spending time with your kids? I'm willing to bet that very VERY few kids actually prescribed medication actually need them. Now I'm not a parent so maybe I'm talking out of my ass here, but how are kids going to learn to deal with their problems and interact and know what's right and good if they're not taught? Not helped? Maybe they need extra time spent with them. We're all so busy rushing around with our lives and expect kids to just anty up and fit into life. They're children. They sould run, jump, play and learn how to do all the things they need to do from ALL of us. It really takes a community to raise a child, not a TV and some Ritalin...it's one of the reasons I haven't had any children yet. It's scary and a big commitment...

Am I way off here? My brother and I grew up with little TV and lots of books and games and although my parents both worked a lot and we were on our own a lot we coped and turned out OK, although we're pretty normal by most standards. We were taught about consequences and how to be real people...I figure we didn't turn out too bad.
But then again I'm dancing around with a bear head on so maybe I'm not the one to be talking...

2 comments:

Penelope said...

Ritalin works as an appetite suppresent in adults.

Although it has an opposite effect on kids, I can't imagine medicating is always the best route.

It's a shame doctors are so easily persuaded into writing perscriptions.

-- Penelope (the cat)

Anonymous said...

You tell them Mrs Tom Cruise! Kidding, I agree with you. Seeing how no drugs are actually ever designed for kids because it is illegal to test on kids (so I am lead to believe)...side effects may vary. Lets cut out 90% of the sugar they are feed, cut TV and video games by 50% and get them active again. All the while having parents actually spend time with their kids and lets see the results of that prescription.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...