Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Stoopid monkey

Aaaaah.

Nothing like 4 days off to make you feel human again.
I have inhaled enough paint fumes to make me think I was Groucho Marx while painting my room in the basement (terrible fake accent I'm afraid...planned my painting and waved a paintbrush like a cigar and talked to myself, gesticulating wildly muttering things like "Yeaaaah! Yeaaaah! I'll put that over there, seeeee!"), but I'll be done in a few more days. I went and made it all really complicated with many colours and designs, but it's my hidey hole, and things must be right. I am fussy about the oddest things...J was amused that I had to paint the closet (including the ceiling thank you very much) to match the room. It's just one of those things. I do have a general comment to the world though - if you have a small daughter who has her very own room to decorate and she says "Mum can I take a small monkey stamp and put it on the walls of my room" say "NO DAMMIT - PUT THAT AWAY!". I say this, as I tried my very hardest to paint over some monkey stamps on the room walls...6 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint later and you can still see it through the paint a bit - *sigh* - I give up. The monkey has won. I'm trying to find some sort of deep reason why a monkey would want to be a part of my life that badly. Anyone know any monkey based legends or happy monkey tales? I could use one to justify the monkey business.

Other than that...a family meal of ham and cabbage rolls and entirely too much dessert and lots of lazing about with my love. I got to go shopping and be girly with my friend Heather and have some new duds to wear. We went out for fantastic beer, fish and chips and went out with friends to see Grindhouse on Sunday - and all I can say is HOLY CRAP it was good. I do so love old schlocky horror/action movies (think Army of Darkness) that don't take themselves seriously. This was a GREAT set of movies: cheesy, full of gore and strange acting, gross evil creatures, evil drivers, women that kicked ass, and a freaking cool woman with a machine gun for a leg. There were even a bunch of gag trailers in the middle. I mean, "Hobo with a Handgun"? It doesn't get cheesier than taglines like "It's a fast train to hell...and he's riding shotgun!". Rodriguez and Tarentino don't always do it for me but this time - they got it right.

At any rate...back to work - although it's only a 3 day week, as I get Friday off too. Smee hee. I was going to learn how to use a fancy schmancy laser dissection microscope today but that was postponed so I have to go and find something else equally smartish and scientific to do before my brain slacks off.

6 comments:

Tawanda Bee said...

Happy Monkey tales abound on my site www.happymonkey.biz. Seriously - this is the name of my company - Happy Monkey. I laughed out loud when I read your blog!
Thanks
Deborah Denson

afrobev said...

He looks like the image of my second cousin.

Pacian said...

Apparently one of the fake Grindhouse trailers was directed by Edgar "Human Perfection" Wright.

Anonymous said...

Chuang Tzu told a great monkey story called "Three in the Morning".

There once was a monkey keeper who told his monkeys that they would be given three portions of chestnuts in the morning and four portions in the afternoon. On hearing this the monkeys were outraged and complained loudly.

So the wise keeper told the monkeys that they could have four portions in the morning and three in the afternoon. At this the monkeys were pleased and everyone was happy.

Stoopid monkeys

Magnus said...

Okay... I'll be the prig. Gorillas are apes, not monkeys.

Geosomin said...

Well, I had all the "damn dirty ape" sayings in mind, but I held them back...:)

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...