Saturday, March 24, 2007

I'm painting a room in a colourful way, and when my mind is wandering, there I will go...

So I have this room…it’s the one Dad and I fixed up at Christmas in our basement. Being the procrastinator that I am (and to be fair, I was sick for a while) I just finished the drywall this morning. And now comes the prime and paint…the fun stuff FINALLY.

The thing is, I have the paint, I just bought it. It is a nice warm yellow, a medium orange with a very slight beige tone to it (called “madras”) and a nice flat red color (“red menace”). When I was planning giddily months ago I was originally going to have 4 colors and do each wall a color, but then I didn’t know what to do with the ceiling…and 5 colours of paint for a small room was, really, a big waste of paint and $$. So I scaled it down a bit, thinking OK, I must have red in there, and the ceiling will be yellow for sure…but what to do with all the walls? I’m currently bouncing back and forth between doing two walls orange and two walls red (either opposites or adjacents) or doing the ceiling and two walls yellow, with the two remaining walls being orange and the opposite one red. Decisions, decisions…

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts…well I’m here to fish for them.

I love bright warm colours, but the room is pretty small with only a tiny slit window and a dim light fixture -the room is about 11 feet square. So, I couldn’t do it all red as it’d be dark and oppressive, so I brought in the other colours... it will be the room I go to to make things…glass, sew, you name it. I can’t wait to be in it and muck about…so I want to finish it up this week. I have a day or two while I prime it and try not to obsess about my lack of drywalling skills before I get to the paint… but I have to decide soon. J is staying out of the whole process as it’s my room and he wants me do do it how I want and doesn't want to influence my decision…heh heh…I wish I could be concrete what it is that I want. I’m one of those people who I don’t necessarily know what I like…but I know what I DON’T like, so sometimes it’s hard to take an idea and finish up with it.

So…any ideas or thoughts?
Pretty please?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about doing graphics on your walls John? A yellow wall with a big thick red strip through it. Or 4X4 yellow squares on your red wall? Or use your red as a base then lighten it with some white and add graphics with the second shade of red. How to make more with less.

Geosomin said...

ooooooh...ideas.

Hmmmm....

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...