Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Christmas Quiz

I saw this while wandering the weblogs.
I'm a sucker for any quiz.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Nog I s’pose. I can have cocoa anytime. I’m a mulled wine nut actually. I’d rather have it than the other 2. But eggnog pancakes? THAT is another story…

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Not wrapped, but by the stocking. This flags a memory for me - I remember sleeping on the hide-a-bed on my sister’s living room one Christmas and snagging my little nephew going round and transplanting gifts he liked from Santa from other stockings to his stocking…I was laughing so hard he heard me. I said nothing and he timidly put them all back where they were, I winked at him and he ran away…

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Colored. White. I'll take them all! I have a thing for blue at the moment. I go nuts with lights at Christmas, although we don’t have any outside in our yard, just all over inside. My newest cool thing are star lights with LEDs inside that slowly change color...cool

4.Do you hang mistletoe?

Nope. Silly stuff.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
In the first week of December usually.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Hmm. My Mom makes these awesome nuts and bolts. J’s Mom makes awesome poppycock and chocolate covered pretzels. J’s Grandma makes the BEST cabbage rolls ever at family supper.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?

We spent Christmas up at the cabin when I was 12. My nephew was only a few months old and the cabin was BURIED in snow. We all went out in the woods and got our tree and made all the decorations for it and spent a week drinking hot chocolate and eating nuts and bolts and playing cards by kerosene lanterns with the fires blazing to keep warm. My brother and I played Hoth out in the snow with our action figures and made snow forts and had snow fights. It was the last time our whole family was all together and it really was fantastic.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

Sometime around 5 or 6 I just put it together. Mom & Dad still did a stocking for years though.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Nope. My Dad was adamant that we “fellowship” on the eve and visit (OK and eat lots too) and on Christmas day we wake up, have a huge breakfast, read the Christmas story and then open gifts one at a time. We’re not really big on gifts in our family, so it’s not a big deal to wait.


10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
I’ve got 2. Nana’s old white tree that has blue and silver lights and ornaments on it. We have a smaller fakey tree and it has all the family ornaments and sentimental things from when we were younger as well as all the other goofy Christmas ones.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Love it. We have the bonus of living near lots of hiking paths and a toboggan hill so I LOVE the snow. Bundle up well and you’re set!

12. Can you ice skate?
Yup. I used to figure skate actually and got up to the flying camel spin stage before I realize it was safer for me and those around me if I stopped…plus I just had to face the fact that I wasn’t going to be in the Olympics… It didn’t help that in grade 9 I jumped the triple jump in track and field practice into a pit that wasn’t dug up. I totally screwed up my feet for a while and screwed with my arches enough that now when I wear skates they hurt like a damn, so I don’t skate much anymore.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Hmmm…not really much for the gifts. I DO remember getting a giant smurf when I was 5 though, and I loved him. He was as big as I was. Santa brought him and I didn’t go in to the living room to check my stocking for hours because I thought Santa was still in there.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?Relaxing and being with family. I love just not working, eating food and being with those I love.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
I have a few: Blueberry pie, pumpkin cheesecake, scuffles, shortbread,

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
I really like going to candlelight Christmas eve service. I’ve always believed that if you’re going to celebrate Christmas then you should really do so. It’s a nice time to sit, sing old songs and look around at the happy smiling people in the candlelight and remember what the whole deal is about.

17. What tops your tree?
The white one – a silver snowflake. The green one, a tiny, red, knitted toque (that's a hat to you non-canadians out there)

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
Giving, although not gifts. I like making things for people. I wish I could tell people to not buy me stuff, just make me something or give me nothing at all. I don’t need gifts for Christmas.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
The Coventry Carol (and the entire Roger Whittaker Christmas Album)

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yummy?

YUM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

4.Do you hang mistletoe?
Nope. Silly stuff.

And if you needed to that at home, I'd say your marriage is having problems.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...