Tuesday, October 17, 2006

So there's this giant diamond, see...

Well...now I can say I know what it's like to be busy...

I finally have a few minutes, so I thought I'd just say hi and what I've been up the for the past while.
Saturday was Scott Thompson's show - it was really good. He had a few people opening and with him, one was a musician, she sang a few songs while the other guy (from Blue Rodeo but I can't remember his name) accompanied with an accordian, keyboard and blinky lights (like I said - it was interesting and very unique). Then the Blue rodeo guys did some odd songs and also palyed a few short films he'd done, which were pretty hilarious. Then Scott Thompson did an hour or so of a one man show, about his life. It was wierd, touching and hilarious. He talked about high points and low points in his life, and even had fun at his own expense, looking at some times when he went too far (which seemed ot be very often) and ended up offending people instead of making them laugh. I'm glad I went. It was almost like a very long very good fringe play...with Scott Thompson in it...bonus.

On sunday my brother and I started our beer. All I can say is, Yeesh - don't let a biochemist try to make beer with you. I was WAY too paranoid about sterillity and all that - my brother is a very patient guy. And the funny thing is I'm STILL wondering if it will all be good! After lab work it just doens't seem sterile enough...anyways, we are making Trent County English Ale (Paddockwood Brewery Kit - a local microbrewery that makes yummy ales and sells some of their recipes as kits). Sounded yummy. Should be very full flavour with lots of maltiness and hops. It seemed a safe starter - not to complicated. We used live yeast and my brother hasn't called me yet to tell me it's off, so, so far so good. As for the labels, well we are gonna make our own, but we keep changing our name, so it will be a while before they're done. It's a few weeks until we bottle them, so we have a bit of time to figure it out. Sunday night I volunteered to help out for a Bingo to help raise $$ for the radio station. Long and boring. And yes, little old ladies tried to scam me for money on the bingo cards I was running...craziness. Someone did win $10000. Sadly, it was not me. And watching a room full of people blot at tiny cards for hours was really disturbing. I will say tho that Bingo hall food is really good.

The rest of the week has been crazy busy with labwork, getting better and Dr. Who. I still haven't had time to watch this weeks BSG yet...hopefully tomorrow. Our VCR is acting up. I'm glad it's on twice or we'd have missed it. The Doctor Who episode was tremendous, though, I must say. The monks were a bit overdone, I have not a whiff of complaint about the rest -the werewolf was fantastic and the new doctor is nothing short of brilliant. He is so emotive..and his eyes! Well, I often read people's eyes and like to watch them and tend to look right into people's eyes when I talk to them...to me a brilliant actor can say more without even speaking. David Tennant - well, all I can say is he's a good man. Plus I just like the idea that someone who watched Dr. Who as a kid and loved it and used to dress up as him is now acting the role. Seems proper.

And now? Well, I finally feel pretty much back to the old me again after the plague ran through our land. I've caught up on my wifely chores and had a bit of time to spend with Jay and now, after a bit of reading (I'm into the Dark Tower book 4) it is sleepytime for me. I snowed the first snow of the year, which I'm not amused about, but I'll get over it. Our yard is still full of leaves so now it's a snowy leafy mound. yuck.
Sorry if this seems rather diaryish. Lots to think of over the past while once I put it all down. I had lots more to say and think about and it's all buzzing around in my head, but strangely enough, I'm too weary to write them down. I need a few hours when I can really flush them out and do them justice. Right now it'd come out more like Mr. Mugs than philosphy.

G'night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Tennant as well, but still prefer Eccleston. He brought serious dramatic talent - gravity, weight, etc. - to the role that Tennant really doesn't have.

Anonymous said...

Dear dear girl - I love how your definition of busy includes going to a show, making beer, watching Dr Who & reading ;)
We'll drop the kids off for a few days...

Geosomin said...

oviyid
It's funny - all my friends with kids say that when I mention I'm busy. It doesn't sell the parenting thing to me! And yes - I really am busy.

I did do other things besides the beer and show you know :)
..and the reading? Well I do that on the bus I have to take to and from work now. Boo for busses. I miss my bike.
Wow...look at mw whine away...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've had a nice time.

It's great that there is a balance, kind person like you working with chemicals (dangerous or not) out there.

Unfortunately, such is not always the case, i.e. A. Q. Khan, or the guy who was amost those cult members who gassed the massive Tokyo subway system. And he sounded like a normals, sympathetic guy, until he started to have an existential crisis, joined Aum, and was appointed by Asahara to be his Minister of Health and shortly after assigned to puncture gas on the subway with his umbrella, along with others in the cult.

I am reading Marukami Haruki's Underground now.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...