Friday, August 25, 2006

Drinking and cooking are a great combination

It's time once again for me to blather on about something yummy I invented.
It's veggie season and I'm having a blast inventing new ways to eat as many of them as I can. Last night I had a craving for a creamy curry chicken with green beans and zuchinni to serve over baked potatoes. Soooo I cracked open a bottle of wine and made it up as I went along. It was so good I wrote it down to make again. I submitted it to Allrecipes.com but they don't publish all their submitted recipes so I can't take the chance - because it'd be sad if you never got to have it too! I get to have it again for lunch now. Yay...

Green Bean Chicken with Curried Cream Sauce

1 chicken breast, diced
1T olive oil
½ bag (~2 ½ c) frozen Green Giant green/yellow bean & carrot mix
2 ½ c chopped zuchinni (~1/2” squares)
1 stalk celery, sliced
½ red onion chopped
5 cloves garlic, diced
1 rounded T Pataks Curry sauce (hot) (dissolved in ¼ c water)
¾ t turmeric
½ t cumin
½ t coriander
¼ t fresh ground pepper
1 T low salt chicken OXO
1T Worcester sauce
¼ c white wine
~1 c water
1 can Campbells cream of mushroom soup
1 T cornstarch dissolved in 3 T water

Serve over/with:
4 Yukon Potatoes, baked

Before you begin, prick potatoes with a fork and wrap in paper towel. Nuke them until they are cooked to your taste.
Steam beans, carrots and celery until they are nearly done in ½ c water (~6 minutes), and set aside.
While the beans are steaming, sauté chicken and garlic in oil in a large saucepan until chicken is cooked and then add the onion and zuchinni, wine, chicken OXO and Worchester sauce and sauté for a few minutes until onions start to clear and zuchinni begins to soften.
Add the curry, the beans and the water they steamed in, ½ c water and the other spices and simmer for a 2-3 minutes. Add the mushroom soup and stir to completely dissolve the soup. Then add ~ ¾ cup of water to have the desired amount of sauce (if you want more/less sauce adjust the water accordingly). Simmer on low-med heat for about 5 minutes to incorporate the flavours in to the sauce, but don’t let it boil.
Thicken with cornstarch and simmer until the veggies are cooked but not mushy (however you like them). Rewarm the potatoes, slice them open and serve the curried veggies over them.

PS -wtf is up with blogger? It took me ages to post this. Then it posted 4 of it....

No comments:

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...