Friday, July 28, 2006

2 Cents Leftover (Sunday Scribbling)

When I pull the old tarnished pennies from my jewelry box I can remember as if it were yesterday: That morning we went for a walk… I was going to make my famous Saturday morning waffles and we were out of milk. We slipped on our comfy clothes and strolled lazily to the corner store to get what we needed. The sun was shining and the smell of the rain that fell the night before was still in the air. The leaves were orange and had just started to fall and the flowers were blooming their last before the frosts came. It was the kind of lazy day that you hope for but so rarely comes up – smiling and talking about nothing in particular and yet feeling as though everything was as it should be.

Moments of perfection in an ordinary life.

In the store you paid for the milk, and handed me the change with a twinkle in your eye. “Two cents…here you go - don’t spend it all in one place!”

“You’re too good to me” I said and grinned sarcastically. You grinned back.

We strolled home and made breakfast, and spent a timeless day together listening to music, eating waffles, reading, making love and enjoying all the little things we bring to each other's lives – it was a day filled the joy of just being with you.

Years later I still have those two pennies. A memorial to a perfect day.


It's amazing what memories a few words can prompt...thanks for reminding me of this. I know it's not sunday yet, but felt so happy remembering this. This was another Sunday Scribblings

14 comments:

paris parfait said...

That's such a beautiful memory, provoked by "two cents." Thanks for sharing the remembrance of your lovely day.

Anonymous said...

A lovely memory - thanks for sharing

gigergal

Peter T Chattaway said...

Blissful sigh ...

Writer Bug said...

I really like this! It totally brought me to a moment like that of my own. "Moments of perfection in an ordinary life." Nice job!

Pacian said...

That was so nice that you should probably be arrested.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful memory. Thanks for sharing, and for sparking an old memory of my own like this.

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous memories - I think this is a beautiful piece of writing!

-Aly

Michelle said...

I was just at the Sunday Scribbling site, looking to see what the topic was and decided to check out your post. It's lovely.

TMTW said...

What a wonderful memory to share!

Michelle said...

I love this story. I wanted to use the literal two cents angle, but I didn't have one. This is great.

gma said...

.....a memory worth so much more than 2 pennies

Jennifer S. said...

absolutely lovely memory

Going For Greatness said...

That's such a beautiful memory!Amazing what memories a few words can conjure up!
Glad you enjoyed remembering!!
~Gabi

Roadchick said...

A memory to strive for...so beautiful and poignant.
Thank you!

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...