Monday, June 05, 2006

Earliest Memory

Until I was 5 we lived on an acreage in a house with blue trim down by a stream with blueberries and frogs and birds all over the place. My best friend lived down a windy path a few minutes away. I loved it.
My first memory that I can piece together that isn't just images is of our kitchen curtains. They were orange...you know, the old seventies orange patterned waffly fabric kind. They framed a big picture window that looked out over the trees. I remember a bird hit the window - a big fat robin. I ran outside (I think I was about 3) and picked it up. It was still breathing and I was worried about it. Mom helped me make it a little "bird bed" out of a towel and I just laid down on the deck and stared at it until it got up shook it's head a bit and flew off. I was so happy. I spent the next few weeks looking for "my robin" (I think I called it Robbie or something original like that...) until our puppy Scottie wandered into our yard as a stray a few weeks later. After that Scottie was all I could think about for ages.
Those goofy curtains are up at my parent's cabin now...they're ugly. But Mom can't get rid of them and I don't think I'd want her to. They are just right some how...

Sunday Scribblings is a creative writing project. Check it out.

2 comments:

Magnus said...

So... uh, what became of the Robin?

Geosomin said...

I'm not too sure. I saw lots of robins in the yard after that and I was sure some of them were "my" robin (I was looking for them all over - I think I drove my Mom nuts) and there was a nest/family of them in a tree by our deck. Then the next year the family never came back to the nest. I just figured Robbie went away to visit someone else. I imagine our having a dog then may have had something to do with it. Scottie was always chasing the squirrels around...maybe he scared the Robins from being too close to the house.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...