Thursday, May 18, 2006

"Oh my..."

So, the surgery was a very scary thing for J, what with forcing open his eyes and an automated machine suctioning to his eye and stretching it, then cutting a flap in his eye and all. Apparently the next laser part was the least stressful of it all. It took about a half hour for the whole thing. The surgery suite was separated from the waiting area by frosted glass so I could sort of hear what was going on in little snippits. Nervous time all round and I am so proud of him - after hearing about it I'm not sure I could have done it. But, according to the surgeon, it went well. It really helped that he was a copy of Doc Connel from BSG...somehow put us at ease. Now it is just hanging out in the dark basement for a few days and letting his eyes heal a bit before taking on the world with shades on for a few weeks. 3 sets of drops 4 times a day too...I'll get my nursemaid badge that's for sure!
Yet, I have to say, what happened this morning made it all worth it. We had a post op check up with the surgeon and after, at about 7 with the sun just coming up we went out to the car and J just stopped and stared. He'd kept his eyes shut pretty much til then to help healing but he just stood there with a look of utter awe and amazement on his face. "Oh my..." he said, "I can see everything..." and he turned around slowly and just took it all in with a tear running down his face. I'm getting choked up just thinking about it...
So, it'll be a dull next few days and then a bit of a struggle until his eyes settle in and are healed but in the end it turned out well and hopefully he won''t need glasses at all.
Thanks for happy thoughts and prayers offered up. Gotta go check on him. Bye...

2 comments:

Magnus said...

But then J's surgery takes an unexpedted turn as his vision becomes ever more acute causing him to become - MICROSCOPE MAN!

brocs

Unknown said...

yo, magnus, me main mayn, yo' bean readin' toe minny coamic books, yo yo!

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...