Monday, May 01, 2006

Number 9...Number 9...Number 9...

I am so stiff...I think if you listen closely when I walk you can hear me creaking!
It was a busy weekend, we tore down the deck and pressure washed the whole thing, walls and all, mopped it out and then put some furniture back in it, and stored the rest for other use or (can't believe there is still some stuff left for this!) for the next dump run. It took all day, but the deck is clean and ready to use, and now when we get around to painting it, it'll be all ready to go. Friends came over for BSG and we played some Settlers of Catan afterwards. Sunday we spent in the yard, raking and weeding. It's not done yet, but we made a good dent in it, although I am so stiff today from it you'd think we were out there all weekend.
Sunday night, to celebrate, I made some nori sushi rolls(with no fish for J) and we sat out on the deck and nibbled and drank a bit of wine. Then we got to listen to some sweet sweet music.
If you know me, you know I do love Beethoven. My musical taste really varies, but I have a soft spot for Beethoven and for musical theatre, courtesy of my Dad who used to wake us up on the weekends by blasting Beethoven or HMS Pinafore at us and conducting it while we ate breakfast. I learned to appreciate the 5th and 9th symphonies of Beethoven as favorites from when I was in a classical choir in school and I always swore I'd go see the 9th symphony performed if it was ever nearby. Well, a few weeks ago the Saskatoon Symphony was performing (finally) with a full choir and soloists, but I couldn't go. I was really bummed out about it, but J and I found a superaudio CD of the symphony on ebay. Superaudio is a very good thing - the sound quality is absolutely unmatched...I've got some Beck and Pink Floyd, but until now, no classical music. We ordered it so I could have a night at the symphony sometime (sweet guy eh?).
Last night was that sometime and it was wonderful. It's a remastered recording from 1977 so it doesn't take full advantage of the superaudio format, but it was fantastic. The recording was amazing (like being there in the room with the orchestra) and the choral performances gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes. And to think he wrote it all in his head...it's still wafting through my head this morniing. Beautiful.

No comments:

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...