Monday, April 03, 2006

"whimsical cakes" (...or the Twinkie Incident)

That's what the box offered - "those whimsical cakes you loved as a child..." Well, to be completely honest I never really cared for twinkies - just the *idea* of them. Once I actually got to try one I was dissapointed and thought they should be better and I always swore I'd make a better one if I could. Well...while snooping at food weblogs I stumbled upon the Vegan Lunchbox (a very cool site) and discovered there that they do sell twinkie kits. WOOT! I ordered my "cream canoe pan" (after much mockery) and patiently waited...it arrived in all it's overpriced glory on friday and I stopped in to pick it up so I could make some yummy twinkies, the way I always thought they *should* taste.


Step one - Lemon filling. Why have a fake squidgy lard filling when you can have yummy homemade lemon pudding? I found the cutest (and therefore *logically* most flavourful) teeny lemon for the sauce. Now, I cheated on the cakey part and bought a yummy Betty Crocker vanilla cake mix...I was feeling lazy (don't tell anyone).


So I whipped up the lemon pudding (to the sounds of Zooropa)









and the cake batter









and then popped them in the oven to bake.









I ended up with 16 twinkies to cool, and then, after not so patiently waiting...








I prepped for Step 2: twinkie lemony surgery. I apologise for the lack of injection photo. I only have 2 arms...






And when I was done, there were 16 of the yummmiest lemony filled cakey things that I have ever made. (if'n I do say so meself)




So yummy in fact that here's how many were left the next morning.
In defense there WERE three of us devouring them that evening...and lots of coffee...and a movie.






And what have I learned?
Homemade Twinkies rock.
Next time I'm making spice cake and filling them with cream cheese filling...(*insert Homer drooling sound here*)
Mmm...twinkies...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loathe twinkies. I wasn't allowed to have them as a kid (very few kids I knew were allowed actually) but tried one in high school. Bleargh! Two bottles of coke and I still had the taste in my mouth.
Your twinkies, however, sound great. You should create your own desserts and nickname them "Baxters" or "Derbies". (privte in-jokes, too old and too long to get into)

jrhtlnyx

Geosomin said...

Derbies - I love it!

And so they are and ever shall be.

cephzwq

Anonymous said...

Mmm. Erotic cakes.

whghfdun

Geosomin said...

HA!

Ever seen the SNL episode with Patrick Stewart in the "Erotic Cakes" sketch?

kaaybbsm

Anonymous said...

I vaguely remeber that sketch. Question is, what should a Derby be? What would make a Derby a Derby? BTW, moose and squirrel flavouring is not option here Trent. But squirrels do like nuts. Hazelnut flavour? Frangelico flavoured creme filling? No chocolate, use coaco instead.

puisaujp

Geosomin said...

Well I could make homemade chocolate cake batter (with cocoa), (or plain dusted with cocoa), and the filling could be almond, frangelico or some kind of nut flavor (or something like pistachio pudding?) and have ground nuts in it. Or I could roll them in nuts or put nuts in the batter...hmmm.
This is getting interesting.
More ideas please. I was happy with just calling them ALL derbies, no matter the cake and flavor, but I do believe now that a special Derbie Extrordinaire cake is in order.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...