Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Set for stun


Well...it's over and done with. Votes cast and ballots counted. Not what I wanted but better than I expected. More NDP and another minority government *and* Martin is stepping down. J and I have been debating politics the past week or so trying to predict what is to come and try and be objective and separate it from our hopes of what is to come. Not that I want a PC government (BElieve me I don't) - it's just that they're a minority and they'll have to work hard and maybe even do what the people want to stay in power and get the support of the NDP and others to do it. The Liberals were reminded that corruption is not OK and that we're not that stupid, but that we're not that enthralled with the PC's either.

You know, it's interesting: If it were as simple as voting for the person and not tha party I'd have a lot more joy in voting. Take for example, my old MP from University days, Ralph Goodale. I've met him and heard him speak on many occasions - a decent man with good intentions. I'm pretty much NDP as far as how I wear my political hat but I always voted for him. This time around the guy in our local riding who was NDP is a former police chief and mayor who is generally disliked here and was never truly absolved of being involved in covering up the whole Stonechild murder. And yet what is my alternative? A Liberal guy who switched parties and has no clear opinion on things or a Conservative MP who has sent us letters as constituents that were borderline racist and had misinformation and made up facts in them? You try and vote along which party is the most in line with what you want, but how will that carry through? So frustrating. The "who is less awful" question is a terrible way to vote. And "strategic voting"...dont'e get me started. It makes you almost want to run in politics to try and get better people on the ballot.

Having said all that, I was disillusioned with the whole point of voting this month until I had a few discussions with a Postdoc in our department. She is from the Ukraine and came here with nothing but her PhD, her family and a suitcase or two. She lived through the rise and fall of communism and her family is still there. They were a part of the huge orange protests there where the people literally camped out in the streets in the winter for days to make sure their democratic rights were preserved. By comparison, we seem quite whiny and complacent. She said to me "I cannot understand how you all take your democracy for granted. You have a say in what happens to your country. That is NOT nothing!"
And it's true. It's not.
And that's why I voted
And no I didn't eat my ballot in protest. And that's why I think we have to vote and keep trying to get it right until they fix the electoral process and the country. We have a lot to be proud of and so much further to go.
Now...hopefully the new government won't screw up things too much.

No comments:

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...