Thursday, January 19, 2006

My body is rebelling

OK...so I've finally gotten serious this week with my being more active thing, alternating between the crosstrainer in the basement and an exercise ball I have for muscle workout. I am sleeping better and I have way more energy but I have to say this: My body is rebelling.
I have muscles I forgot about trying to make me walk like an old lady. I'm sure after a few days more I'll get used to it and my muscles won't protest so much - it's not like I'm being overly crazy about it all. I just can't ride my bike to work in the winter and usually by this time of the winter I'm lethargic, a bit more jiggly and moody as hell, so I figured I'd better get on with it as those things were well on their way. It's so true - excercise really does help your state of mind. I suppose I should focus on what I eat as well, but I've never been a really bad person as far as nutrition goes, I just like food too much. I just want to know I can go hiking or do things and not be way out of breath. It really helps control my asthma when I excercise regularly. A case of the "squeaky lungs" as I ran to catch the bus on friday convinced me I had to look after my cardiovascular system better. I already feel a difference.
Anyways, the point of all this is my coworkers are tired of hearing me complain about how stiff I've been this week so I thought I'd foist it on you all out there.
Cause they'll beat me if I mention it to them again...

4 comments:

Magnus said...

You could always outfit your bike with studded tires. I always loved cycling in the snow, but then I live here so how often did I get a chance to play in it before it got all slushy.

Anonymous said...

What he said.

The other thing I wanted to point out, as a native Saskabusher, that the words "hiking" and "Saskatoon" are nigh mutually exlusive....

Geosomin said...

Not so...there are a lot of trails off the river acroos the bridge form our place that go on for miles. No grand uphill treks or anything, but you can go for a few hours. You have to go to a place like Cypress hills to really hike tho. I think our day long hike out there was well nigh 32 K...I just want to do a lot of hiking this coming summer, so I want to be ready for it...

Anonymous said...

If there are no hills, it's just called walking, even if it is on a path. Paved. Just like you can't really call biking around the valley "mountain biking".

I have hiked the river valley in Saskatoon. I've done the trail of the 199 steps out at Shekinah. I've bushwhacked creek valleys all around there. I do know whereof I speak. And I do miss the river valley. In summer. At sunset. When there are no mosquitos.

But more than that, I miss the coast mountains, and being able to hike a vertical kilometre. I love it around here, too, but there's just something so...alive...about the coast mountains.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...