Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Do or do not - do be do be do

Well... I can now cross a few thing off my list of things to do in life...some I'd only dreamt of and even a few I didn't even think of until they happened.
This weekend Jay and I went to an event with incredible PsyTrance and Breaks spun all night by live DJ's and get this - it was a Star Wars theme party - costumes encouraged! My exact words when Jay told me about it were "holy crap - well I guess we're going then". I would have settled for just the music, but luckily for J and I there are other people out there who love live electronic music *and* Darth Vader! Kindred spirits indeed...
All night long we got to dance in Dagobah, Jabba's palace and Endor. Three different rooms and DJ areas - and some crazy costumes.
I even got to dance in full costume to a break remix of the Cantina song from the original Star Wars...joy of all geeky joys. Black light added to the absolutely fantastic decorations. You could tell the GOMP crew (the self titled "grumpy old men" that put it on) that put it on were all Star Wars geeks...the attention to detail was staggering.
Downstairs in Jabbas Palace there were robots, a big lounge area with a stuffed Jabba you could hang out with while watching the films (without sound they're much better!) and a huge area to dance, with the walls and ceilings all decorated up. Princess Leia spun discs for a few hours (among others) and the music was fantastic. My favorite tunes were in Dagobah - some of the best were spun by a guy named Kevin who was dressed as Han Solo. There were Psy Trance and Breaks all night and the decor was great - they actually built a crashed X-wing into a blue lit pool with clouds coming off it and Yoda's hut in the corner where you could go and relax and take a break from dancing. Then in the main area of Endor the walls were painted like space with a image of Endor on the wall and the Death Star and Star Destroyers flying from the ceiling and mostly house played off the decks. Over the bar was the perfect finishing touch - Jar Jar's head mounted on the wall!
Even the stairwell downstairs was decorated with hanging asteroids and the mellinium Falcon flying through them. Last but definitely not least, someone had welded a fullsize replica of a speederbike outside in the smoking area with two working flames coming out the back. About half the people were in costume (a mix of vaders, lukes, darth mauls, leias, jedis and even Lando from his hippie years - even one other twylek!)
Man - I had a fantatic time - one of the best nights of my life. Fantastic music that made you dance *and* all the Star Wars stuff I could imagine. A few people even had an official replica of a lightsaber there (Jay had an older superbright one he'd "modified" himself to be superbright with some LEDs). The guy was cool enough to let me play with it a bit and take a pic or two.
I even won best costume! I didn't know there was a contest - I just had a great time making my costume...and a great time wearing it too - I spent a few days making our costumes the week before. J was a sort of Jawa happy alien character - I made him a black jedi robe and he made a mesh face mask with blinky green eyes...he looked great! I decided to be a Twylek - you know, like Oola in Jabba's palace and the Jedi woman in the 2nd and 3rd films. I was rather proud of my work - I danced like a monkey all night and it stayed on! Plus, near the end of the night one of the GOMP came up and handed me a few prizes and said "Cool - I found you! You've won best constume - thanks for coming to our party!"
I was blown away - I mean *I* thought I looked cool, but now I am officially cool and not just one of the biggest geeks around!! :) Jay even got an X-wing model as a runner up - we're gonna hang it in a place of honor!
Can't recall having such a great time for a long time...Man...the whole night was *Shiny*!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a dance; you were going as a Twilek, so why didn't you go as Oola?

I mean, other than the problem of popping out of the outfit...

(Problem? I don't see a problem.)

Love the Jar Jar head. I probably haven't told you about the song I was writing called "Jar Jar Binks Must Die"I started it in time for the second movie, but never really finished it.

Speaking of starting and not finishing...I finally got around to playing Knights of the old republic because I knew if I started I wouldn't stop...well, I didn't, but the X-Box did, about 35 hours in Gah! Blown fuse is what we think it is.

Funny it does this just a couple weeks before the 360 comes out....

You need a tripod, you know...the natural light pictures are way blurry.

Anonymous said...

Twilek, so that's what they are called... I almost thought of a certain dip's ex-girlfriend. Aside from the face paint and lightsabre, your costume looks like something from Medieval England.
I never hear about anything fun like that out here.

Magnus said...

Actually Jay looks like that fink from Mos Eisley, the one that tells the Imperials where to find Ben and Luke.

Geosomin said...

Yeah I know - tripod would've been good. But lugging a tripod to a dance was not worth the effort for a perfect picture...too bad as a lot of shots could have worked out, but you can never capture what you remember in a photo anyways...it's good enough for me!

I *was* Oola only not nekked. I had no desire to be ogled all night - plus it was a matter of principle. There were enough "I'm a tramp from Star Wars" women to fill the gap up (I've never understood why women use costume parties and Halloween as an excuse to wear next to nothing...the "Ewoks" in fur bikinis come to mind...). I wanted to be able to dance like a monkey without falling out somewhere....
It's funny - Jay and I were joking that all we needed was a bit of a nose on his costume to be the finky guy...but the hose face reminded me of "are you my mummy". It was a striggle to get the mask to look right, so we were happy with what Jay ended up with. Looking back on it, J said he'd probably go without the mask next time, as it was harder to make conversation without being able to read lips...

Anonymous said...

Morbo laughs at strange human female's concept of alien life forms. HA HA HA HA!!!! Where are the huge eyballs and large bulbous, veiny heads?

Anonymous said...

"lugging a tripod to a dance was not worth the effort for a perfect picture"

Bite your tongue. Or have someone do it for you. Not worth the effort. Pah. I scoff at your anti-tripod biases.

It's always worth the effort for a perfect picture. Or at least, find a table that you can set the camera down on.

Actually, I'm terrible with tripods, too. Not that I don't lug them, I just then don't use it, because I want to be able to move! So I'll carry them for three hours to the top of a mountain, then chose not to use it.

Geosomin said...

Well it's not like I had any pockets!
Neither of us wanted the hassle of looking after a tripod all night. We have a little pocket one, but there wasn't anywhere to set it up that was remotely possible so that was out too...Plus there were about 200 people there, so it would've been a hassle to leave one out and keep an eye on it. There was a photographer running around and they said they'd post some photos on the site so I'll check in and see if there are any gooe ones. Our friend Ken had the same thing with his photos...he tried photoshopping them a bit and got some cool results. I think I'll play with some of the blurrier ones to see what I get. I'll post any that turn out. We do have a few of a couple of shots of guys fighting with sabers (and LED nunchuks) outside that look neat...the sabers smeared on the photos...a neat effect.

Magnus said...

You know, I have noticed you have a thing for "dobedobedo".
But hey, to each their own, ah shoobee-do-wop-wop-ah-wakkita-wakkita-boppituh-boppituh-thumpituh-thumpituh-bump!

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...